[Gluster-devel] Feature proposal - FS-Cache support in FUSE

Vimal A R arvimal at yahoo.in
Wed Sep 3 07:25:57 UTC 2014

David / Dan / Anand,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will make a note of the points, and will get back here if I have anything to report or doubts.

Thanks a lot,

Vimal

On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 8:50 PM, Anand Avati <avati at gluster.org> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Vimal A R <arvimal at yahoo.in> wrote:

Hello fuse-devel / fs-cache / gluster-devel lists,

>I would like to propose the idea of implementing FS-Cache support in the fuse kernel module, which I am planning to do as part of my UG university course. This proposal is by no means final, since I have just started to look into this.
>
>There are several user-space filesystems which are based on the FUSE kernel module. As of now, if I understand correct, the only networked filesystems having FS-Cache support are NFS and AFS.
>
>Implementing support hooks for fs-cache in the fuse module would provide networked filesystems such as GlusterFS the benefit of  a client-side caching mechanism, which should decrease the access times.

If you are planning to test this with GlusterFS, note that one of the first challenges would be to have persistent filehandles in FUSE. While GlusterFS has a notion of a persistent handle (GFID, 128bit) which is constant across clients and remounts, the FUSE kernel module is presented a transient LONG (64/32 bit) which is specific to the mount instance (actually, the address of the userspace inode_t within glusterfs process - allows for constant time filehandle resolution).

This would be a challenge with any FUSE based filesystem which has persistent filehandles larger than 64bit.

Thanks

When enabled, FS-Cache would maintain a virtual indexing tree to cache the data or object-types per network FS. Indices in the tree are used by FS-Cache to find objects faster. The tree or index structure under the main network FS index depends on the filesystem. Cookies are used to represent the indices, the pages etc..