[Gluster-devel] Fwd: [ovirt-devel] Using libgfapi on Gluster Storage Domains

Ben England bengland at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 13:00:49 UTC 2014

The year-old BZ 1016886 describes three problems that any libgfapi application would have, not just KVM.

As for the rpc-auth-allow-insecure=on setting, has any progress been made in this area?   I think this setting should be unnecessary, and it's really important in general that Gluster have some way of optionally authenticating clients other than by client port number.  Do SSL sockets solve this problem of authenticating in the control plane?

Two of these problems can be fixed by just altering the virt "group" -- the settings that you get with the gluster command

- gluster volume set your-volume group virt

And then just document that when you configure a volume for KVM virtualization, use the above command, right?  This is why we have volume "group" feature, right?

In /var/lib/glusterd/groups/virt file, it has this:

[root at g60ds-1 groups]# more virt
quick-read=off
read-ahead=off
io-cache=off
stat-prefetch=off
eager-lock=enable
remote-dio=enable
quorum-type=auto
server-quorum-type=server

Just add 1 lines to it:

allow-insecure=on

And change stat-prefetch to "on", and you'll have eliminated 2 of the 3 things that every KVM user has to do to Gluster.  eager-lock is the default now so that can be removed.

-ben