[Gluster-devel] EPEL YUM repos for Gluster, managing community glusterfs installs on RHEL

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 13:10:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

It has recently become more complicated to install community GlusterFS
on RHEL due to competing client-side packages that are in RHEL 6.5, 6.6,
and 7.x. Because the versions don't line up though, updates and installs
are prone to failure. N.B. this is precisely why glusterfs was retired
from Fedora EPEL circa the release of RHEL 6.5.

To simplify installing community glusterfs going forward, our current
thinking is to deploy a gluster-release RPM on download.gluster.org.
This RPM will install an /etc/yum.repos.d/gluster.repo file with
"priority=1" lines for each of the sub-repositories.

By itself these added lines are a no-op.

But if the system already has the yum-plugin-priority RPM installed this
will result in the community glusterfs.repo being the preferred source
of glusterfs RPMs, over-riding any other source of glusterfs RPMs.

And we will suggest that users audit their system and install the
yum-plugin-priority RPM if that suits their needs.

Questions? Comments?

--

Kaleb