[Gluster-devel] glusterfs replica volume self heal lots of small file very very slow!!why?how to improve?

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 15:29:23 UTC 2014

On 10/08/2014 02:15 PM, justglusterfs at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all:
>     I do the  following test:
> I create a glusterfs replica volume (replica count is 2 ) with two
> server node(server A and server B),use XFS as the underlying
> filesystem,  then  mount the volume in client node,
>    then, I  shut down the network of server A node, in  client
> node, I copy a dir(which has a lot of small files), the dir size
> is *2.9GByte,*
>     when  copy finish, I unmount the volume from the  client, then I
> start the network of server A node,   now, glusterfs
>  self-heal-daemon start heal dir  from  server B to  server  A,
>     in the  end,  I find the self-heal-daemon   heal the  dir *use
>  40 m**inutes, * *It's too slow!  why?*
>    I find out   related options  with  self-heal, as  follow:
Sorry for the delay in response. It is better to enable profile on the
volume and find what is happening. Just before restoring the network
connection, enable profiling using 'gluster volume profile <volname>
start' Let the healing complete. Give the output of 'gluster volume
profile <volname> info' output. We can check that to figure out what is
happening.

Pranith