[Gluster-devel] Jeff Darcy's objections to multi-thread-epoll and proposal to use own-thread alternative

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Tue Oct 14 14:59:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> This e-mail is specifically about use of multi-thread-epoll optimization
> (originally prototyped by Anand Avati) to solve a Gluster performance
> problem: single-threaded reception of protocol messages (for non-SSL
> sockets), and consequent inability to fully utilize available CPU on server.
> A discussion of its pros and cons follows, along with the alternative to it
> suggested by Jeff Darcy, referred to as "own-thread" below.  Thanks to Shyam
> Ranganathan for helping me to clarify my thoughts on this.

Reckon it would much work to get an initial implementation happening (that
passes the regression tests), so it can be measured?

If not a huge amount of work, this sounds like a very important experiment
to try out.  If successful, this could really help a lot of our users. :)

+ Justin

--
GlusterFS - http://www.gluster.org