[Gluster-devel] possible feature page for small-file performance

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:40:05 UTC 2014

On 2 October 2014 15:25, Ben England <bengland at redhat.com> wrote:
> Here is a candidate feature page for small-file performance in Gluster.  This is my first feature page so I'm a newbie, have mercy ;-)
>
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Feature_Smallfile_Perf

I enjoyed reading this thanks. Your paragraph on defining "smallfiles"
was particularly interesting, as I hadn't heard it expressed so
clearly before.

One point that I would add (if in fact it is even legitimate) -- At
the bottom you list all sorts of individual changes. Is there an
active project somewhere to somehow provide GNU-like tools (or patches
to existing GNU tools) to take advantage of the parallelism now
available in distributed systems?

I'm thinking of updates to ls and friends, for example. I'm not sure
how easy this is, and I don't think it's Gluster specific, but if
nobody is spearheading the project, I think it's a worthy goal to get
someone looking at.

Cheers,
James