[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Please test GlusterFS 3.6.0 beta3 on OSX!

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Thu Oct 2 13:44:09 UTC 2014

On 02/10/2014, at 1:03 PM, Ryan Nix wrote:
> If someone could provide a quick set of instructions on how to download and compile on OS X, I could build the Apple Installer.

Sure, I can try.  First thought, are you familiar with the MacOS X Homebrew
package system (http://brew.sh)?

If so this Homebrew formula (in development!) pulls in the required
dependencies + installs GlusterFS:

  https://github.com/justinclift/homebrew/blob/glusterfs360/Library/Formula/glusterfs.rb

If you're not familiar with Homebrew, then things are a bit more complicated
to get the environment setup correctly.  The dependencies I know of so far
are autoconf, automake, libtool, cmockery2, gettext, libxml2, openssl,
osxfuse, pkgconfig, python, and readline.

Once those dependencies are installed, compiling GlusterFS can probably be
done using:

  ./configure --prefix=[some location] --with-mountutildir=[prefix dir]/sbin \
    --with-initdir=[prefix dir]/etc \
    --with-launchddir=[prefix dir]/Library/LaunchDaemons \
    --disable-systemtap --enable-glupy"

For example, this is the line that OSX Homebrew uses:

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/glusterfs/3.6.0 \
    --with-mountutildir=/usr/local/Cellar/glusterfs/3.6.0/sbin \
    --with-initdir=/usr/local/etc \
    --with-launchddir=/usr/local/Cellar/glusterfs/3.6.0/Library/LaunchDaemons/ \
    --disable-systemtap --enable-glupy

Does this seem workable?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift