[Gluster-devel] Glusterd 'Management Volume' proposal

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Nov 27 16:13:01 UTC 2014

> > To be sure, maintaining external daemons such as etcd or consul
> > creates its own problems.  I think the ideal might be to embed a
> > consensus protocol implementation (Paxos, Raft, or Viewstamped
> > Replication) directly into glusterd, so it's guaranteed to start up
> > and die exactly when those daemons do and be subject to the same
> > permission or resource limits.  I'm not sure it's even more work
> > than managing either an external daemon or a management volume (with
> > its own daemons).
>
> To solve the store consistency problem it may be enough to implement
> Raft (or any other consensus algorithm) but if we aspire to make
> acquiring data (among the servers) from the distributed store to
> scale, we would need a 'watch' functionality. IMO, it is easier to
> implement a key-value interface than a POSIX-y interface for the
> store. The end solution would be dangerously (sic) similar to
> consul/etcd/ZK. This bring us to whether we piggyback on reasonably
> mature solutions that provide the same functionality or build one
> ourselves. I am torn between the two. Which approach would be
> practical? Thoughts? MV was born while we were exploring a middle
> ground.

I've thought quite a bit about what it would take to implement our own
embeddable consensus-protocol implementation.  It's not something to be
undertaken lightly.  The difficulty of managing etcd/consul/whatever
daemons is fairly well understood; it's not trivial, but a lot of what
we need is there already for other purposes (or done as part of NSR).
There are just a few "rough edges" left.  What we don't know is the
difficulty of filling the gaps in the MV approach - e.g. self heal, lack
of a "watch" function.  Therefore, we should probably try to
characterize those gaps and estimate (as well as we can) the effort to
overcome them Then we can compare that to the effort required to
complete the external daemon approach, and see which one will get us to
our goal more quickly.