[Gluster-devel] glfs_resolve new file force lookup

RAGHAVENDRA TALUR raghavendra.talur at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:21:26 UTC 2014

Hi Rudra,

The inode and inode table data structures here represent the in-memory inode
on the client side.(gfapi)

When we are trying to create a new file, it becomes
*necessary* that we confirm with the backend if it can be created, hence
a force lookup.

Only case where we avoid a force lookup is when in-memory inode is
present(means we had resolved this recently and have all the stat data)
and it is not the last component in the path. Say "b" in the path "/a/b/c".

Please do tell if that does not clarify your question.

Raghavendra Talur

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Rudra Siva <rudrasiva11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A new file create does not honour the force lookup avoidance - in my
> case I am not interested in the attributes or forcing a lookup, just
> need the inode details - is there a specific reason why !force_lookup
> is not outside the block?
>
> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/api/src/glfs-resolve.c
>
> 270:     if (!force_lookup) {
>
> suggested fix:
>
> move this to outside of if-else to line 296 - so it applies to
> existing as well as new files.
>
> Can someone explain what do the inode and inode table data structures
> represent?
> --
> -Siva

*Raghavendra Talur *