[Gluster-devel] IMPORTANT - Adding further volume types to our smoke tests

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Thu Nov 13 09:37:24 UTC 2014

On 11/13/2014 10:13 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

> On 11/13/2014 03:51 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
>> On the other hand, I'm not sure smoke is the place to do this.
>> Smoke is supposed to be a *quick* test to catch *basic* errors
>> (e.g. source fails to build) before we devote hours to a full
>> regression test.  How much does this change throughput on the
>> smoke-test queue?  Should we be doing this in regression
>> instead, or in a third testing tier between the two we have?
> That makes sense. Should we have daily regression runs which will
> contain a lot more things that need to be tested on a regular basis?
> Running regressions per disk fs type is something that we need to do. We
> can improve them going forward with long running tests like disk
> replacement tests/ Rebalance, geo-rep tests etc. Let me know your
> thoughts on this.

The problem I see with this approach is how to detect problems before
merging them to the main branch. Is it possible to automatically merge
multiple patches in a test branch, run the tests on it and don't allow
merging each individual patch into master branch until these tests pass
? this could allow daily executions but a single buggy patch will delay
the merge of many others.

Xavi