[Gluster-devel] Feature help

Rudra Siva rudrasiva11 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 14:20:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm very interested in helping with this feature by way of development
help, testing and or benchmarking.

Features/Feature Smallfile Perf

One of the things I was looking into was possibility of adding a few
API calls to libgfapi to help allow reading and writing multiple small
files as objects - just as librados does for ceph - cutting out FUSE
and other semantics that tend to be overheads for really small files.
I don't know what else I will have to add for libgfapi to support
this.

The following is what I was thinking - please feel free to correct me
or guide me if someone has already done some ground work on this.

For read, multiple objects can be provided and they should be
separated for read from appropriate brick based on the DHT flag - this
will help avoid multiple lookups from all servers. In the absence of
DHT they would be sent to all but only the ones that contain the
object respond (it's more like a multiple file lookup request).

For write, same as the case of read, complete object writes (no
partial updates, file offsets etc.)

For delete, most of the lookup and batching logic remains the same.

I can help with testing, documentation or benchmarks if someone has
already done some work.

-Siva