[Gluster-devel] bug-857330/normal.t failure

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:34:29 UTC 2014

Thanks Justin, I found the problem. The VM can be deleted now.

Turns out, there was more than enough time for the rebalance to complete.
But we hit a race, which caused a command to fail.

The particular test that failed is waiting for rebalance to finish. It does
this by doing a 'gluster volume rebalance <> status' command and checking
the result. The EXPECT_WITHIN function runs this command till we have a
match, the command fails or the timeout happens.

For a rebalance status command, glusterd sends a request to the rebalance
process (as a brick_op) to get the latest stats. It had done the same in
this case as well. But while glusterd was waiting for the reply, the
rebalance completed and the process stopped itself. This caused the rpc
connection between glusterd and rebalance proc to close. This caused the
all pending requests to be unwound as failures. Which in turnlead to the
command failing.

I cannot think of a way to avoid this race from within glusterd. For this
particular test, we could avoid using the 'rebalance status' command if we
directly checked the rebalance process state using its pid etc. I don't
particularly approve of this approach, as I think I used the 'rebalance
status' command for a reason. But I currently cannot recall the reason, and
if cannot come with it soon, I wouldn't mind changing the test to avoid
rebalance status.

~kaushal