[Gluster-devel] Regression tests: Should we test non-XFS too?

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue May 13 19:18:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 6:33 am, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 05/07/2014 05:17 PM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>> On 05/06/2014 10:44 PM, B.K.Raghuram wrote:
>>> For those of us who are toying with the idea of using ZFS as the
>>> underlying filesystem but are hesitating only because it is not widely
>>> tested, a regression test on ZFS would be very welcome. If there are
>>> some issues running it at redhat for license reasons,
>>
>> Yes, there are issues with running it at Red Hat for exactly those
>> reasons.
>
> License issues and in general we don't test on out of upstream tree (and I
> know
> the open zfs team itself are not the reason that it is out of tree :))
>
> ric

I thought we were upstream.

Are these tests run on Red Hat equipment or at Rackspace?

If we're testing things upstream from Red Hat on hosts for which Red Hat
has no legal obligation, can we not test on differently licensed
subsystems?

Frankly, since there's no inclusion of code, headers, libraries, etc. in
GlusterFS, there's no mixing of licenses. Just to have a test that shows
that something still works doesn't affect copyright, in my non-legally
trained opinion.