[Gluster-devel] gluster IRC and use systemtap can't output glusterfs backtrace

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Mon May 12 03:53:16 UTC 2014

See inline for response.

----- Original Message -----
> hi everyone!
> I meet three question:
>
> question one:
>
> I use IRC client(mirc) config server is:  irc.freenode.net  or  irc.gnu.org
> but always can't connect, follwing errors:
> Connect retry #1 irc,freenode,net (6667) (dns pool)
> unable to connect server (connect timed out)
>

> question two:
> I system is centos6.4,glusterfs version is 3.4.
> I want to use systemtap watch glusterfs function backtrace,
> when I configure glusterfs source code, execute the following operation:
> ./configure --enable--systemtap
> but checking dtrace happen error,because in my system,no dtrace,my
> question is --enable--systemtap why need dtrace?  it must have dtrace?

I think the systemtap folks have retained certain symbols from dtrace
so that code instrumented with systemtap user specified probes are compatible
with systems that have dtrace but not systemtap in them.

> question three:
> when I do io test in glusterfs client. I execute following command:
> stap -d /usr/local/sbin/glusterfs --ldd -e 'probe
> process("glusterfs").function("*"){print_ubacktrace()}'
>
> the result is  there is nothing output, and  the stap command S state,
> no return.

For 'process' systemtap provider, you don't need to compile glusterfs with
"--enable-systemtap". I am not sure why you are not seeing any of the probes
firing in your stap script. Let me try this same and share my results on this
thread.

Hope that helps,
Krish