[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] User-serviceable snapshots design

Varun Shastry vshastry at redhat.com
Thu May 8 05:56:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Wednesday 07 May 2014 10:52 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
>> Attached is a basic write-up of the user-serviceable snapshot feature
>> design (Avati's). Please take a look and let us know if you have
>> questions of any sort...
> A few.
>
> The design creates a new type of daemon: snapview-server.
>
> * Where is it started?  One server (selected how) or all?
All the servers in the cluster.

> * How do clients find it?  Are we dynamically changing the client
>    side graph to add new protocol/client instances pointing to new
>    snapview-servers, or is snapview-client using RPC directly?  Are
>    the snapview-server ports managed through the glusterd portmapper
>    interface, or patched in some other way?
Adding a protocol/client instance to connect to protocol/server at the
daemon.

so, the call flow would look like,

(if the call is to .snaps) snapview-client -> protocol/client ->
protocol/server ->snapview-server.

Yes, it is handled through glusterd portmapper.

> * Since a snap volume will refer to multiple bricks, we'll need
>    more brick daemons as well.  How are *those* managed?
Brick processes associated with the snapshot will be started.

- Varun Shastry