[Gluster-devel] DHT idea: rebalance-specific layout

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 14:51:40 UTC 2014

> One question: would(n't) there be a chance for "thrashing" (maybe
> there's a better word) where new files are getting put on brick X, but
> the rebalance is then trying to move them to brick Y?

In this scenario, neither layout would lead to placing new files on the
oldest bricks.  However, you do remind me of a point I forgot to
mention: the rebalance must only run on the oldest bricks.  Otherwise
it would be possible for a file to be placed (according to the regular
layout) on one of the newest bricks, then the rebalance process running
on that brick would push it (according to the rebalance layout) to one
of the medium bricks.