[Gluster-devel] Potential GSoC Student :)

RJ Nowling rnowling at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:31:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I spoke with John Mark and was directed here.  :)

Jay Vyas on the big data team at Red Hat forwarded your thread of emails
about GSoC to me.  I was an undergrad researcher for 6 years at UConn while
Jay was getting his PhD, and now, I'm a PhD student in Computer Science &
Engineering at Notre Dame.  My research interests can be summed as using
math, physics, distributed computing, machine learning, and algorithms to
support scientific work across multiple fields -- I have a relatively broad
background.

I'm more interested in systems projects, e.g., integrating systems, that
will get me deep into the concepts rather than peripheral projects.  I like
distributed systems, file systems, big data, etc.

Looking through your thread and list of ideas from last year, I found /
thought of a couple interesting ideas:

* Cinder back up to Gluster

* RESTful / JSON interface to Gluster like WebHDFS.  This would make it
easier for other projects to use GlusterFS regardless of language  Another
GSoC group is looking at adding HDFS support to Disco, a MapReduce system
in Erlang / Python.  WebHDFS makes this easy.  The key part is that you
also need data locality information for scheduling.  John Mark mentioned
language bindings for Python, etc. -- I could build on top of those.

I'm very much open to other projects as well.

My knowledge of C/C++ is so-so -- I'm more of a Python / Java person with
an interest in functional languages (e.g., Erlang).  This may limit the
projects that I could work on.

I'm very interested, however we're on a short deadline and there is a lot
to do.  The deadline is Friday.  The Fedora application (not including the
proposal) is a little more involved than other projects, but it's doable.
 To meet the deadline, I would need help crafting a proposal, especially
from someone who knows the ideas, what the community is interested in, and
can comment on the feasibility of the technical side.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks!
RJ

em rnowling at gmail.com