[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] PLEASE READ ! We need your opinion. GSOC-2014 and the Gluster community

Carlos Capriotti capriotti.carlos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:58:22 UTC 2014

Now, to the tech talk.

1) Striped, as far as I could see, already works on a block level and it
uses disk space in a more sensible way. auto-balance tends to be simpler,
or quicker, and resilience is embedded on each node. Other solutions in the
market do similar things and that works REALLY well. We have a fear of  it
because we have a "split-brain" trauma, I am afraid. But RAIDZ-like
solutions are everywhere, as far as I can see, with excellent results. This
is a complete makeover, which (potentially)  radically changes how stripes
and redundancy works. In my opinion, much more attratcive to the market.
Can you imagine a structure like AWS with higher data-protection, using 25%
less power and hardware ? Or, using that hardware to power other
applications ?

2) "My" number 2 (which is not mine at all. It is just a suggestion), is
only valid for distributed/replicated volumes, because they rely on copied
of the files. With the proposed change on the stripe algorithm, split-brain
arbitration may become redundant.

3) We have a problem with small files, of small chunks of files.
Performance may be slow. For the VM universe this makes a LOT of
difference. It may also be VERY attractive to the database/dig data world.
But, since this is just a figment of my imagination so far, let's leave it
like this. That is why it is in the last position anyway.

But, THANKS for joining the discussion ! THAT is the community
participation we have to have.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Bernhard Glomm <bernhard.glomm at ecologic.eu