[Gluster-devel] glusterfs-3.5.0beta4 released

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Sun Mar 9 15:45:31 UTC 2014

On 03/09/2014 04:17 PM, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Do not observe any fixes related to memory leaks. Would it be possible
>> to get a valgrind report for the glusterfsd processes if you happen to
>> observe the leak again?
>
> Unfortunately, valgrind was not ported on NetBSD.

In that case, we can look at utilizing the built in memory accounting
provided by glusterfs. Steps for that would include:

1. gluster volume set <volname> config.memory-accounting on

2. (Re)start the volume

3. After the memory consumption increases, trigger a statedump by
sending SIGUSR1 to the brick process.

4. statedump file would be created at $(INSTALL_PREFIX)/var/run/gluster/

5. grep -A4 memusage <statedump_file>

6. Noticing those allocations which have significant size & num_allocs
in the output of grep can help in narrowing down the leak.

(usage-type can be looked up from mem-types.h in libglusterfs and
<xlator>-mem-types.h located in the respective translator directory).

- Vijay