[Gluster-devel] Barrier design issues wrt volume snapshot

Anand Avati avati at gluster.org
Thu Mar 6 19:44:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Krishnan Parthasarathi <kparthas at redhat.com
> wrote:

This sounds like a very changelog specific requirement. This is best
addressed in the changelog translator itself. If unlink/rmdir/renames
should not be "in progress" during a snapshot, then we need to hold off new
ops in the call path, trigger a log rotation and the rotation should wait
for completion of ongoing fops anyways.

> > 2) It is possible in a pure distribute volume that the following sequence

> > The solution is really a long pending implementation of dentry
> > serialization in the resolver of protocol server. Today we allow multiple
> > FOPs to happen in parallel which modify the same dentry. This results in
> > hairy races (including non atomicity of rename) and has been kept open
> for
> > a while now. Implementing the dentry serialization in the resolver will
> > "solve" 2 as a side effect. Hence that is a better approach than making
> > changes in the barrier translator.
> >

> I am not sure I understood how this works from the brief introduction
> above.
> Could you explain a bit?

By dentry serialization, I mean we should have only one operation modifying
a <pargfid>/bname at a given time. This needs changes in the resolver of
protocol server and possibly some changes in the inode table. This is
really for solving rare races, and I think is something we need to work on
independent of the snapshot requirements.

Avati