[Gluster-devel] Need clarification regarding the "force" option for snapshot delete.

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 05:17:07 UTC 2014

Inline.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Atin Mukherjee" <amukherj at redhat.com>
To: "Sachin Pandit" <spandit at redhat.com>, "Gluster Devel" <gluster-devel at gluster.org>, gluster-users at gluster.org
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:30:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Need clarification regarding the "force" option for snapshot delete.

On 06/26/2014 01:58 PM, Sachin Pandit wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We had some concern regarding the snapshot delete "force" option,
> That is the reason why we thought of getting advice from everyone out here.
>
> Currently when we give "gluster snapshot delete <snapname>", It gives a notification
> saying that "mentioned snapshot will be deleted, Do you still want to continue (y/n)?".
> As soon as he presses "y" it will delete the snapshot.
>
> Our new proposal is, When a user issues snapshot delete command "without force"
> then the user should be given a notification saying to use "force" option to
> delete the snap.
In that case "gluster snapshot delete <snapname>" becomes useless apart
from throwing a notification. If we can ensure snapshot delete all works
only with "force" option then we can have gluster snapshot delete
<volname> to work as it is now.

~Atin

Agree with Atin here, asking user to execute same command with force appended is
not right.

> When snapshot delete command is issued with "force" option then the user should
> be given a notification saying "Mentioned snapshot will be deleted, Do you still
> want to continue (y/n)".
>
> The reason we thought of bringing this up is because we have planned to introduce
> a command "gluster snapshot delete all" which deletes all the snapshot in a system,
> and "gluster snapshot delete volume <volname>" which deletes all the snapshots in
> the mentioned volume. If user accidentally issues any one of the above mentioned
> command and press "y" then he might lose few or more snapshot present in volume/system.
> (Thinking it will ask for notification for each delete).

It will be good to have this feature, asking for y for every delete.
When force is used we don't ask confirmation for each. Similar to rm -f.

If that is not feasible as of now, is something like this better?

Case 1 : Single snap
[root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]# gluster snapshot delete snap1
Deleting snap will erase all the information about the snap.
Do you still want to continue? (y/n) y
[root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]#

Case 2: Delete all system snaps
[root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]# gluster snapshot delete all
Deleting <N> snaps stored on the system
Do you still want to continue? (y/n) y
[root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]#

Case 3: Delete all volume snaps
[root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]# gluster snapshot delete volume volname
Deleting <N> snaps for the volume volname
Do you still want to continue? (y/n) y
[root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]#

Idea here being, if the Warnings to different commands are different
then users may pause for  moment to read and check the message.
We can even list the snaps to be deleted even if we don't ask for
confirmation for each.

Raghavendra Talur

> Do you think notification would be more than enough, or do we need to introduce
> a "force" option ?

> Current procedure:
> ------------------
>
> [root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]# gluster snapshot delete snap1
> Deleting snap will erase all the information about the snap.
> Do you still want to continue? (y/n)
>

> Proposed procedure:
>
> [root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]# gluster snapshot delete snap1
> Please use the force option to delete the snap.
>
> [root at snapshot-24 glusterfs]# gluster snapshot delete snap1 force
> Deleting snap will erase all the information about the snap.
> Do you still want to continue? (y/n)

Thanks!
Raghavendra Talur | Red Hat Storage Developer | Bangalore | +918039245176