[Gluster-devel] Data classification proposal

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 12:35:05 UTC 2014

> For the short-term, wouldn't it be OK to disallow adding bricks that
> is not a multiple of group-size?

In the *very* short term, yes.  However, I think that will quickly
become an issue for users who try to deploy erasure coding because those
group sizes will be quite large.  As soon as we implement tiering, our
very next task - perhaps even before tiering gets into a release -
should be to implement automatic brick splitting.  That will bring other
benefits as well, such as variable replication levels to handle the
sanlock case, or overlapping replica sets to spread a failed brick's
load over more peers.