[Gluster-devel] Data classification proposal

Dan Lambright dlambrig at redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 20:48:13 UTC 2014

A frustrating aspect of Linux is the complexity of /etc configuration file's formats (rsyslog.conf, logrotate, cron, yum repo files, etc) In that spirit I would simplify the "select" in the data classification proposal (copied below) to only accept a list of bricks/sub-tiers with wild-cards '*', rather than full-blown regular expressions or key/value pairs. I would drop the "unclaimed" keyword, and not have keywords "media type", and "rack". It does not seem necessary to introduce new keys for the underlying block device type (SSD vs disk) any more than we need to express the filesystem (XFS vs ext4). In other words, I think tiering can be fully expressed in the configuration file while still abstracting the underlying storage. That said, the configuration file could be built up by a CLI or GUI, and richer expressibility could exist at that level.

example:

brick host1:/brick ssd-group0-1

brick host2:/brick ssd-group0-2

brick host3:/brick disk-group0-1

rule tier-1
  	select ssd-group0*

rule tier-2
	select disk-group0

rule all
	select tier-1
	# use repeated "select" to establish order
	select tier-2
	type features/tiering

The filtering option's regular expressions seem hard to avoid. If just the name of the file satisfies most use cases (that we know of?) I do not think there is any way to avoid regular expressions in the option for filters. (Down the road, if we were to allow complete flexibility in how files can be distributed across subvolumes, the filtering problems may start to look similar to 90s-era packet classification with a solution along the lines of the Berkeley packet filter.)

There may be different rules by which data is distributed at the "tiering" level. For example, one tiering policy could be the fast tier (first listed). It would be a "cache" for the slow tier (second listed). I think the "option" keyword could handle that.

rule all
 	select tier-1
	 # use repeated "select" to establish order
 	select tier-2
 	type features/tiering
	option tier-cache, mode=writeback, dirty-watermark=80

Another example tiering policy could be based on compliance ; when a file needs to become read-only, it moves from the first listed tier to the second.

rule all
 	 select tier-1
	 # use repeated "select" to establish order
	 select tier-2
	 type features/tiering
 	option tier-retention