[Gluster-devel] Better-SSL thought

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:06:36 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 09:07 -0400, Jeff Darcy wrote:

> [...]

Good question. There are different options, depending on how much the
puppet module author cares about security, or his/her module... There
are a few possibilities:

* Use a similar technique as discussed here:
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/securely-managing-secrets-for-freeipa-with-puppet/

Basically this amounts to local key generation on a server.

* Generate private key yourself and store in puppet. I think this is
sort of a bad practice, but it's extremely common. Since puppet has root
on your boxes anyways, you're already sort of p0wned, but I don't like
to make the situation worse.

* Combination of distributed local key generation, plus secure partner
exchange. Depending on your API, I'd probably go this route if it's
possible. Basically each member would generate locally a key pair and
exchange the public parts. Then they would use this cryptography to
exchange individual private chunks to make up the key. Alternatively you
could elect one master to generate the key instead of generating it in a
distributed way.

Which reminds me, what about your interface/API?

Cheers,
James