[Gluster-devel] Rolling upgrades from glusterfs 3.4 to 3.5

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 17:39:48 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 08:19 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 12/06/2014, at 2:22 PM, Ravishankar N wrote:
> <snip>
>> But we will still hit the problem when rolling upgrade is performed
>> from 3.4 to 3.5,  unless the clients are also upgraded to 3.5
>
> Could we introduce a client side patch into (say) 3.4.5 that helps
> with this?
But the client side patch is needed only if Avati's server (posix) fix
is present. And that is present only in 3.5 and not 3.4 .

> Then mandate that 3.4 -> 3.5 rolling upgrades have to be on 3.4.5
> first?
The idea of a rolling upgrade is that customers don't have to stop their
(hundreds of ?) clients from accessing the gluster volume and the
replica configuration ensures HA during rolling upgrade of servers. When
the can afford downtime of their application, then they stop the clients
and upgrade them as well. So the rolling upgrade solution has to be
independent of client side features.