[Gluster-devel] Bootstrapping glusterfsiostat

Vipul Nayyar nayyar_vipul at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 15:21:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

If I have a say in this decision, then I'd like to go with the way of keeping the io-stats xlator in it's place with the addition of dumpops. Or atleast postpone duplicating the functionality of io-stats in latency.c. I think focusing on my framework without the worry of a major upheaval in the xlator world would help me better in achieving my goals.

Regards
Vipul Nayyar

On Saturday, 7 June 2014 1:05 AM, Anand Avati <avati at gluster.org> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Vipul Nayyar <nayyar_vipul at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,

>I'm Vipul and I'll be working on a tool called glusterfsiostat under GSOC this summer with KP as my mentor. Based on our discussion, the plan for the future is to build an initial working version of the tool in python and improve it later based on feedback. This tool will display i/o information about every glusterfs mount in the system.  The primary source for getting stats would be the .meta folder accessible in every mount. As of now, the meta xlator is a good resource to get the hierarchy and basic information about every translator being used in a mount. But in terms of statistics, it only shows latency of every FOP for each xlator.
>

>Since, our aim is to provide information similar to the tool nfsiostat, we're hungry for more information, which is available in the private data structures maintained by io-stats. One way that I see to achieve this is to define a dumpops structure in io-stats and a priv function in it, which can be used to dump custom info into the private file in the .meta folder. If you feel that there's a better way for doing this, please do guide me.

You could do that, or enhance the latency capturing functionality with more stats, essentially making io-stats xlator redundant on the client side.

On a second note, the tool would provide stats in properly formatted manner by default for human consumption and also in json format if it is needed by any other application.

That sounds good.

Thanks