[Gluster-devel] autodelete in snapshots

M S Vishwanath Bhat msvbhat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:25:27 UTC 2014

On 3 June 2014 15:21, Rajesh Joseph <rjoseph at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

Perhaps I could have been more clearer. auto-delete value does come into
picture when limit is reached.

There is a limit 'n' (snap-limit), and when we reach this limit, what
happens to next snap create depends on the value of auto-delete ( should be
user configurable). If auto-delete is ON (n+1)th snap create will actually
delete the snap first (oldest or biggest or some other policy driven) and
then create the next snap. If the auto-delete is set to OFF, then (n+1)th
snap create will fail.

Now the Idea of having one more limit (water-mark or threshold-limit or
something) which is less than snap-limit  n is to warn the user that his
limit is getting nearer. Now the admin will decide what snaps should be
deleted (or which ones should be kept). The sole purpose of this is to warn
the admin.

Now 'snap-limit' can be called as hard-limit and water-mark can be called
as soft-limit. But auto-delete should *NOT* be turned on by default and it
should not delete upon reaching the soft-limit. It should be the hard-limit

-MS