[Gluster-devel] Status of bit-rot detection

Anders Blomdell anders.blomdell at control.lth.se
Wed Jul 23 12:32:17 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-23 13:42, Joseph Fernandes wrote:
> Hi Anders,
>
> Currently we don't have an implementation/patch for bit-rot.
> We are working on the design of bit-rot protection(for read-only data), as part of Gluster Compliance.
read only data is nice for archival (which is why my backups go to CDs/DVDs since 15 years back
and bit-rot detection by md5 sums).

> Please refer to the Gluster Compliance Proposal
> http://supercolony.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2014-June/041258.html
>
> If you have any design proposal/suggestion, please do share, so that we can have a discussion on it.
I'm more interested in periodically (or triggered by writes) scan and checksum all/parts
of the files on gluster volumes, and compare those checksums between replicas (wont work
for open files like databases/VM-images). I'll guess that I put my current tools
onto each brick, and whip up some scripts to compare those.

When something materializes, I'm interested in testing.

> Regards,
> Joe

/Anders
Anders Blomdell                  Email: anders.blomdell at control.lth.se
Department of Automatic Control
Lund University                  Phone:    +46 46 222 4625
P.O. Box 118                     Fax:      +46 46 138118
SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden