[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] What's the impact of enabling the profiler?

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 06:20:08 UTC 2014

On 07/22/2014 11:39 AM, Joe Julian wrote:

> On 07/17/2014 07:30 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
>>
>> On 07/18/2014 03:05 AM, Joe Julian wrote:
>>> What impact, if any, does starting profiling (gluster volume profile
>>> $vol start) have on performance?
>> Joe,
>>     According to the code the only extra things it does is calling
>> gettimeofday() call at the beginning and end of the FOP to calculate
>> latency, increment some variables. So I guess not much?
>>

> So far so good. Is the only way to clear the stats to restart the brick?
I think when the feature is initially proposed we wanted two things
1) cumulative stats
2) Interval stats

Interval stats get cleared whenever 'gluster volume profile <volname>
info' is executed (Although it starts counting the next set of fops that
happen after this command execution). But there is no way to clear the
cumulative stats. It would be nice if you could give some feedback about
what you liked/what you think should change to make better use of it. So
I am guessing there wasn't big performance hit?

Pranith