[Gluster-devel] Inspiration for improving our contributor documentation

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 06:09:26 UTC 2014

On 07/18/2014 11:22 AM, Kaushal M wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri
> <pkarampu at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 07/17/2014 07:25 PM, Kaushal M wrote:
>>> I came across mediawiki's developer documentation and guides when
>>> browsing. These docs felt really good to me, and easy to approach.
>>> I feel that we should take inspiration from them and start enhancing
>>> our docs. (Outright copying with modifications as necessary, could
>>> work too. But that just doesn't feel right)
>>>
>>> Any volunteers?
>>> (I'll start as soon as I finish with the developer documentation for
>>> data structures for the components I volunteered earlier)
>>>
>>> ~kaushal
>>>
>>> [0] - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_hub
>> I love the idea but not sure about the implementation. i.e. considering we
>> already started with .md pages, why not have same kind of pages as .md files
>> in /doc of gluster? We can modify the README in our project so that people
>> can browse all the details in github? Please let me know your thoughts.
> These kinds of docs need to indexable and searchable by search
> engines. Only then will they be useful. I don't think markdown files
> in the source would be good place for these.
Still confused :-(. What exactly do you have in mind about things that
need to be added to the Developer_hub on the wiki? So lets say we
complete writing all this documentation in .md. Can we point to already
added documentation on the github repo or do we have to write them again
on the wiki? By the way this doubt is only about developer
documentation. I completely agree about the rest of the pages you gave
below.

Pranith