[Gluster-devel] Unnecessary bugs entered in BZ, ...

Anders Blomdell anders.blomdell at control.lth.se
Thu Jul 17 15:28:16 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-17 15:44, Kaushal M wrote:
> I don't understand your confusion, but maybe these docs need to be reworded.
Not confused, just observed that some of my patches regarding development
workflow does not need to show up as bugs for gluster (at least not until
somebody has verified that they could be useful to somebody else but me).

> What both of these want to say is that for a patch to be merged into
> glusterfs, it needs to be associated with a bug-id. This association
> is done by adding a 'BUG: <id>' line in the commit message. If you
> haven't manually added a bug-id in the commit message, the rfc.sh
> script will prompt you to enter one and add it to the commit-message.
> But, it is possible ignore this prompt and submit a patch for review.
> A patch submitted for review in this manner will only be reviewed. It
> will not be merged.
>
> The simplified workflow document doesn't mention this as it was
> targeted at new developers, and I felt having this details was TMI for
> them. But now when I rethink it, it's the seasoned developers who are
> beginning to contribute to gluster, who are more likely to use that
s/seasoned developers/ignorant old fools/g :-)

> doc.
>
> ~kaushal
>
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Anders Blomdell
> <anders.blomdell at control.lth.se> wrote:
>> ...and I'm sorry about that, the following documents are somewhat contradictory:
>>

>> http://gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Simplified_dev_workflow
>>
>> The script will ask you to enter a bugzilla bug id. Every
>> change submitted to GlusterFS needs a bugzilla entry to be
>> accepted. If you do not already have a bug id, file a new
>> bug at Red Hat Bugzilla. If the patch is submitted for review,
>> the rfc.sh script will return the gerrit url for the review request.
>>

>> www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Development_Work_Flow
>>
>> Prompt for a Bug Id for each commit (if it was not already provded) and
>> include it as a "BUG:" tag in the commit log. You can just hit <enter> at
>> this prompt if your submission is purely for review purposes.

/Anders

Anders Blomdell                  Email: anders.blomdell at control.lth.se
Department of Automatic Control
Lund University                  Phone:    +46 46 222 4625
P.O. Box 118                     Fax:      +46 46 138118
SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden