[Gluster-devel] inode linking in GlusterFS NFS server

Raghavendra Bhat rabhat at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 19:48:48 UTC 2014

Hi,

As per my understanding nfs server is not doing inode linking in
readdirp callback. Because of this there might be some errors while
dealing with virtual inodes (or gfids). As of now meta, gfid-access and
snapview-server (used for user serviceable snapshots) xlators makes use
of virtual inodes with random gfids. The situation is this:

Say User serviceable snapshot feature has been enabled and there are 2
snapshots ("snap1" and "snap2"). Let /mnt/nfs be the nfs mount. Now the
snapshots can be accessed by entering .snaps directory.  Now if snap1
directory is entered and *ls -l* is done (i.e. "cd
/mnt/nfs/.snaps/snap1" and then "ls -l"),  the readdirp fop is sent to
the snapview-server xlator (which is part of a daemon running for the
volume), which talks to the corresponding snapshot volume and gets the
dentry list. Before unwinding it would have generated random gfids for
those dentries.

Now nfs server upon getting readdirp reply, will associate the gfid with
the filehandle created for the entry. But without linking the inode, it
would send the readdirp reply back to nfs client. Now next time when nfs
client makes some operation on one of those filehandles, nfs server
tries to resolve it by finding the inode for the gfid present in the
filehandle. But since the inode was not linked in readdirp, inode_find
operation fails and it tries to do a hard resolution by sending the
lookup operation on that gfid to the normal main graph. (The information
on whether the call should be sent to main graph or snapview-server
would be present in the inode context. But here the lookup has come on a
gfid with a newly created inode where the context is not there yet. So
the call would be sent to the main graph itself). But since the gfid is
a randomly generated virtual gfid (not present on disk), the lookup
operation fails giving error.

As per my understanding this can happen with any xlator that deals with
virtual inodes (by generating random gfids).

I can think of these 2 methods to handle this:
1)  do inode linking for readdirp also in nfs server
2)  If lookup operation fails, snapview-client xlator (which actually
redirects the fops on snapshot world to snapview-server by looking into
the inode context) should check if the failed lookup is a nameless
lookup. If so, AND the gfid of the inode is NULL AND lookup has come
from main graph, then instead of unwinding the lookup with failure, send
it to snapview-server which might be able to find the inode for the gfid
(as the gfid was generated by itself, it should be able to find the
inode for that gfid unless and until it has been purged from the inode
table).

Please let me know if I have missed anything. Please provide feedback.

Regards,
Raghavendra Bhat