[Gluster-devel] Problem with smoke, regression ordering

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Sun Jul 6 07:03:15 UTC 2014

On 05/07/2014, at 5:23 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> hi Justin,
>     If the regression results complete before the smoke test then 'green-tick-mark' is over-written and people don't realize that the regression succeeded by a simple glance at the list of patches. Can we do anything about it?

Yeah.  At the moment, it's caused by people manually
starting the old "regression" job on the build.gluster.org
server.

The build.gluster.org server can only run one thing at
a time.  Everything else queues up.

When the old regression test job runs, everything else is
blocked until it finishes.  If there are a few regression
tests lined up (or it hangs), then it can take hours until
the smoke and rpm building jobs run.

There are a few ways we could address this:

 * Adjust the smoke test job so it runs on the Rackspace
   slaves

   Hopefully not hard.  But not sure.  We can try it out.

 * Change the triggered regression test, so it doesn't
   start automatically like this.

   * We may be able to get a successful smoke test to
     automatically trigger the regression run.  Ben
     Turner would probably know how to make that work.

   * Niels has suggested we might want to have the
     regression test run when a +1 or +2 vote is given
     instead.

     I'm not really sure about this, because I wonder if
     it's more useful to automatically test everything.

       eg catching breakage early, before reviews are
       done

     I'm not strongly against it either though. ;)

   Personally, I reckon we should have a discussion
   on gluster-devel about this.  There might be really
   good + / - for each, so a clear decision can be made.

   And there may be other better ideas too.

What're your thoughts on this stuff?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--