[Gluster-devel] triggers for sending inode forgets

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Sat Jul 5 02:03:33 UTC 2014

hi,
     I work on glusterfs and was debugging a memory leak. Need your help
in figuring out if something is done properly or not.
When a file is looked up for the first time in gluster through fuse,
gluster remembers the parent-inode, basename for that inode. Whenever an
unlink/rmdir/(lookup gives ENOENT) happens then corresponding forgetting
of parent-inode, basename happens. In all other cases it relies on fuse
to send forget of an inode to release these associations. I was
wondering what are the trigger points for sending forgets by fuse.

Lets say M0, M1 are fuse mounts of same volume.
1) Mount 'M0' creates a file 'a'
2) Mount 'M1' of deletes file 'a'

M0 never touches 'a' anymore. Will a forget be sent on inode of 'a'? If
yes when?

Pranith