[Gluster-devel] libgfapi version format change affecting QEMU-GlusterFS

Harshavardhana harsha at harshavardhana.net
Sat Jan 25 09:58:39 UTC 2014

> QEMU uses pkg-config to get the version of libgfapi and accordingly enable
> features. Currently, it checks for version 3 for base libgfapi support,
> version 5 for discard API support and version 6 for zerofill API support.
>
> However with recent commit c2b09dc87, libgfapi version changed from 6 to
> 0.0.6. So the question now is:
>
> Will there be any major/minor release of GlusterFS that will go out with
> libgfapi version as 6 which QEMU should support or should QEMU just switch
> over to using 0.0.6 ?

0.0.6 version from '6' - change was to address linking concerns and
provide versioning
support to not break linking objects in future while there are
internal API changes.

Sorry for the trouble it was an overlook on our part.

Ideally it would have been great to check for GLFS_API_VERSION in 'glfs.h'  than
 `pkg-config` so that all other third party linking objects could just
probe this in their
build rather than relying on `pkg-config` to make it more portable.

AFAICS the patch only exists in 'master' branch its not present on
release-3.5 or 3.4
might not cause any trouble for QEMU in near future? or do you wish to have both
version styles to make it backward compatible even on 'master' branch?

Thanks
--
Religious confuse piety with mere ritual, the virtuous confuse
regulation with outcomes