[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Automatically Deploying GlusterFS with Puppet-Gluster+Vagrant!

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 08:53:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 14:08 +0530, Kaushal M wrote:
> I tried again and I failed again.
Oh no! Let's see if I can help you through this. Your experiences are
great information so that I can fix things for other new users.

Short answer: use vagrant 1.3.5

Quick questions: Are you using Fedora 20? Are you using my Vagrantfile
without modification?

> I had to modify your patch for vagrant-cachier as the plugin has been
> updated to 0.5.1. After this, I tried to get the puppet vm up and
> failed.
I could simply exclude vagrant-cachier from the default setup. It's only
an optimization, and isn't required.
I'll patch this to change the default shortly.

> I'm using vagrant-1.4 and it appears to have some issues with
> vagrant-libvirt and nfs.
Unfortunately, 1.4 is a new release, and it's known to break a lot of
plugins (like vagrant-libvirt). I'm currently using 1.3.5 -- the rpm's
are still available. I'd recommend trying again using that version. Once
vagrant-libvirt catches up with the breakages in 1.4, I'll test and
ensure it's working out of the box.

>  I commented out a couple of lines in
> vagrant-libvirt based on a comment on your first vagrant blog post. I
> tried getting the puppet vm up again. This time the domain starts, but
> got stuck at "Waiting for domain to get an ip address" and I'm still
> stuck.
Can you run your 'up' command and paste the logs? Search for 'vlog' here
for an easy way to save logs:
https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2013/12/21/vagrant-vsftp-and-other-tricks/

The other thing that I found very helpful was to open up virt-manager
(or virsh) and login through the console interface at any point after
you run the 'vagrant up' command. That way you can login and see what's
going on from the machine side. You can see if the machine actually got
an IP, or if it's not configured for DHCP properly, etc...

> I did some digging around the code. Found that, vagrant-libvirt uses
> fog (ruby cloud services library)[1] to perform some interactions with
> libvirt. I'm stuck at the place where vagrant-libvirt is waiting on
> fog to obtain the ip address of the vm [2]. Fog requires a setup
> involving arpwatch and rsyslog to get the ip of the domain [3]. I did
> the setup, but even then fog couldn't get the address. Might be a
> problem with the way I performed the setup (the instructions are old
> and based on ubuntu, but I use ArchLinux), as the log file which fog
> parses remained empty.
I believe the IP comes from looking through dnsmasq logs. dnsmasq is
used for DHCP for the guests.

> Do you have any tips on how I can resolve this problem? In the mean
> time, I'll continue digging around and see if I can fix it myself.
Yes! - I'll need the logs, but:

1) Please try with vagrant 1.3.5 first
2) Feel free to ping me on IRC for more interactive help
3) Post bugs you find at:
https://github.com/pradels/vagrant-libvirt/issues/
They've been pretty good and responsive, and I've even landed some
patches pretty quickly.

> ~kaushal
Cheers,
James