[Gluster-devel] nufa question

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 04:56:58 UTC 2014

On 02/27/2014 06:36 AM, Paul Cuzner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can someone point me at a good source to help me understand nufa. I've
> checked on the mail list archive, and gluster.org and can't find a lot
> of detail.
>
> What I'd like to understand is whether nufa an option only for gluster
> client mounts, or can nufa be used when the client access protocol is nfs?

Hi Paul,
NUFA works irrespective of the access protocol. If a client happens to
be mounted on one of the server (brick) nodes, then all new files
created from that client (and further writes to the file from any
client) will always go that local brick, irrespective of which brick the
file name actually hashes to. There is a 'dht-link-to' file on the
hashed brick, but all data resides on the local brick.

You can enable NUFA with `gluster vol set <volname> cluster.nufa on`.
Not sure why it is not listed inthe  gluster vol set help command.
(Perhaps it's not maintained?)
Hope this helps.
-Ravi