[Gluster-devel] New project on the Forge - gstatus

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Tue Feb 11 15:28:52 UTC 2014

On 11/02/2014, at 2:54 PM, Vipul Nayyar wrote:
<snip>
> For the past couple of weeks, I've been in constant contact with Krishnan Parthasarathi, regarding building a tool named glusterfsiostat, an nfsiostat clone integrated with rrdtool(a data logging system)[1]. We believe that storing io-stats data in a database will be a great improvement over dumping it in a log file. Since it's a Round Robin database, so it's more suitable for our cause as we'll be generating time-series data and our window size would also be fixed. Plus, the data can be easily accessed from the db and processed/modified with a perl/bash script according to the consumer's requirement.

Interesting idea. :)

Out of curiosity, have you considered a front end UI that allows for interactive
time period selection?  I (personally) don't like rrdtool, because it generates
static graphics which don't let people select a range for further zooming in /
refinement.

My recent project, GlusterFlow (https://github.com/justinclift/glusterflow) is
working around that by using Kibana (http://kibana.org).  It's not perfect, but
seems a lot better than rrdtool (so far).

Any idea if it would be useful for you too?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat