[Gluster-devel] [RFC] A new caching/synchronization mechanism to speed up gluster

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Thu Feb 6 08:51:43 UTC 2014

Hi Avati,

El 06/02/14 00:24, Anand Avati ha escrit:
> Xavi,
> Getting such a caching mechanism has several aspects. First of all we
> need the framework pieces implemented (particularly server originated
> messages to the client for invalidation and revokes) in a well
> designed way. Particularly how we address a specific translator in a
> message originating from the server. Some of the recent changes to
> client_t allows for server-side translators to get a handle (the
> client_t object) on which messages can be submitted back to the client.
>
> Such a framework (of having server originated messages) is also
> necessary for implementing oplocks (and possibly leases) -
> particularly interesting for the Samba integration.

Yes, that is a basic requirement for many features. I saw the client_t
changes but haven't had time to see if they could be used to implement
the kind of mechanism I proposed. This will need a look.

When I started implementing the DFC translator
(https://forge.gluster.org/disperse/dfc) I needed something very similar
but at that time there wasn't any suitable client_t implementation I
could use. I solved it by using a pool of special getxattr requests that
the translator on the bricks stores until it needs to send some message
back to the client. It's not a great solution but it works with the
available resources at the moment.

> As Jeff already mentioned, this is an area where gluster has not
> focussed on, given the targeted use case. However the benefits of
> extending this to internal use cases (to avoid per-operation inodelks
> can benefit many modules - encryption/crypt, afr, etc.) It seems
> possible to have a common framework for delegating locks to clients,
> and build caching coherency protocols / oplocks / inodelk avoidence on
> top of it.
>
> Feel free to share a more detailed proposal if you have have/plan -
> I'm sure the Samba folks (Ira copied) would be interested too.
I have some ideas on how to implement it and some special cases, but I
need to work more on it before it can be considered a valid model. I
just wanted to propose the idea to see if it could be valid or not
before spending too much of my scarce time working on it. I'll try to
get a more detailed picture to discuss it.

Best regards,

Xavi