[Gluster-devel] Readdir d_off encoding

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 21:20:58 UTC 2014

> Maybe, but that'd have a pretty high bar to clear: we definitely don't
> want to break existing working xfs setups.

Darn right it's a high bar.  Is a single failed readdir under truly
exceptional (and so far only theoretical) conditions "breakage"?  If so,
every distributed file system ever - including NFS - is broken in a
hundred ways.  The severe and persistent errors that people have
actually seen on ext4 matter.  If we say that we won't make even the
smallest compromise on XFS behavior to fix them, we might as well come
right out and say that ext4 users can go rot.  I'm not willing to say
that.  I'd rather fix users' problems, in-tree if I can but out-of-tree
if I have to.

I've said my piece.  Others can decide.  Merry Christmas.