[Gluster-devel] Readdir d_off encoding

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Mon Dec 22 19:27:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 02:06:42PM -0500, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> None of these *completely* solve the problem.  For that we need
> something besides a client-side mapping cache.  However, while I have
> seen users do a lot of very strange things, running thousands of
> concurrent readdir loops on a single machine wasn't one of them.  We can
> handle that with a very small cache, one per GlusterFS client or NFS
> server.  For a few dozen KB per node at most, we'd be far ahead of where
> we are now with respect to number or severity of user complaints about
> readdir problems.

Apologies, obviously I'm catching up here, but what exactly are the
current user complaints about?

(My understanding was that a) there are no known problems in the xfs
case, b) in the ext4 case with 64-bit cookies we expect problems but
only in extreme setups not yet common enough to produce numerous
complaints.)

--b.