[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Volume backup API

Joseph Fernandes josferna at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 10:16:57 UTC 2014

Replies inline JOE>>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aravinda" <avishwan at redhat.com>
To: "Joseph Fernandes" <josferna at redhat.com>
Cc: "gluster Devel" <gluster-devel at gluster.org>
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 3:39:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Volume backup API

Thanks Joseph, added comments inline.

On 12/19/2014 10:23 AM, Joseph Fernandes wrote:
> Few concerns inline JOE>>

We are also evaluating using FS crawl even for incremental instead of
changelog.

            JOE >> BIG NO! to FS Crawl as it will is the worse thing for a spindle based storage. Your performance will deteriorate more.

> 4. GFID to path conversion, using `find -samefile` or using `glusterfs.pathinfo` xattr on aux-gfid-mount.
> 5. Deleted files, if we get GFID of a deleted file from changelog how to find path. Do backup api requires deleted files list?
>
> JOE >>
> 1) "find" would not be a good option here as you have to traverse through the whole namespace. Takes a toll on the spindle based media.
> 2) "glusterfs.pathinfo" xattr is a feasible approach but has its own problems,
>      a. This xattr comes only with quota, So you need to decouple it from quota.
>      b. This xattr should be enabled from the beginning of namespace i.e if enable later you will some file which will
>         have this xattr and some which wont have it. This issue is true for any meta storing approach in gluster for eg : DB, Changelog etc
>      c. I am not sure if this xattr has a support for multiple had links. I am not sure if you (the backup scenario) would require it or not.
>         Just food for thought.
>      d. This xattr is not crash consistent with power failures. That means you may be in a state where few inodes will have the xattr and few won't.
Makes sense. These points came out of initial discussion, have to figure
out how to get path efficiently using GFID. (If we use Multithreaded FS
crawl even for incremental, then we don't need this conversion step.)

            JOE >> comment same as previous. Even if you do a multi-thread crawl you will be having your multi-threads contesting for spindle movements !

--
regards
Aravinda