[Gluster-devel] Readdir d_off encoding

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Tue Dec 16 20:21:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:46:46AM -0500, Shyam wrote:
> [...]
> >    - Tolerant to seekdir() to arbitrary locations.
> >
> >    But, would provide a more reliable readdir offset for use (when valid
> >    and not evicted, say).
> >
> >    How would NFS adapt to this? Does Ganesha need a better scheme when
> >    doing multi-head NFS fail over?
> >

> >Ganesha just offloads the responsibility to the FSAL layer to give
> >stable dir cookies (as it rightly should)
> >

> >    Thoughts?
> >

> >I think we need to analyze the actual assumption/problem here.
> >Remembering things in memory comes with the limitations you note above,
> >and may after all, still not be necessary. Let's look at the two
> >approaches taken:
> >
> >- Small backend offsets: like XFS, the offsets fit in 32bits, and we are
> >left with another 32bits of freedom to encode what we want. There is no
> >problem here until our nested encoding requirements cross 32bits of
> >space. So let's ignore this for now.
> >
> >- Large backend offsets: Ext4 being the primary target. Here we observe
> >that the backend filesystem is tolerant to sacrificing the accuracy of
> >lower bits. So we overwrite the lower bits with our subvolume encoding
> >information, and the number of bits used to encode is implicit in the
> >subvolume cardinality of that translator. While this works fine with a
> >single transformation, it is clearly a problem when the transformation
> >is nested with the same algorithm. The reason is quite simple: while the
> >lower bits were disposable when the cookie was taken fresh from Ext4,
> >once transformed the same lower bits are now "holy" and cannot be
> >overwritten carelessly, at least without dire consequences. The higher
> >level xlators need to take up the "next higher bits", past the previous
> >transformation boundary, to encode the next subvolume information. Once
> >the d_off transformation algorithms are fixed to give such due "respect"
> >to the lower layer's transformation and use a different real estate, we
> >might actually notice that the problem may not need such a deep redesign
> >after all.
>
> Agreed, my lack of understanding though is how may bits can be
> sacrificed for ext4? I do not have that data, any pointers there
> would help. (did go through https://lwn.net/Articles/544520/ but
> that does not have the tolerance information in it)
>
> Here is what I have as the current bits lost based on the following
> volume configuration,
> - 2 Tiers (DHT over DHT)
> - 128 subvols per DHT
> - Each DHT instance is either AFR or EC subvolumes, with 2 replicas
> and say 6 bricks per EC instance
>
> So EC side of the subvol needs log(2)6 (EC) + log(2)128 (DHT) +
> log(2)2 (Tier) = 3 + 7 + 1, or 11 bits of the actual d_off used to
> encode the volume, +1 for the high order bit to denote the encoding.
> (AFR would have 1 bit less, so we can consider just the EC side of
> things for the maximum loss computation at present)
>
> Is 12 bits still a tolerable loss for ext4? Or, till how many bits

To a first approximation, assume ext4's offsets are random numbers (it's
actually some kind of weak cryptographic hash).  So in a directory with
n entries, you're basically picking n random numbers out of a hat and
hoping you never pick the same number twice.

So following preshing.com/20110504/hash-collision-probabilities, the
chance that two entries in an n-entry directory will have the same b-bit
cookie are (for small n/2^b), roughly

	n^2 / 2^(b+1)

I think 52 bits is still a lot.  Even on million-entry directories I
only get a one-in-ten-thousand chance.   But play with the numbers and
make sure I haven't messed up somewhere.

Anyway, a longer-term approach might be to fix the NFS protocol's
reliance on stable directory cookies, but of course then you have to
wait till the NFS clients get upgraded.

--b.