[Gluster-devel] AFR conservative merge portability

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Mon Dec 15 19:50:13 UTC 2014

Ravishankar N <ravishankar at redhat.com> wrote:

> The check can be done in metadata selfheal itself but I don't think AFR is
> to blame if the user space app in NetBSD sends a setattr on the parent
> dir.

It is not exactly the problem: When adding an entry, you must update
parent directory mtime/ctime. On NetBSD, the filesystem-independant code
(that is, above VFS) in the kernel does it. On Linux, it seems it is the
responsability of the filesystem (below VFS) to do it.

Since this in-kernel implementation, no standard will tell what OS is
right: both are. The only blame we can put on AFR is that it assumes
Linux behavior, hence the proposal to make it portable.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz
manu at netbsd.org