[Gluster-devel] BitRot design document

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 10:36:29 UTC 2014

It would be good to add few usecases to the document for completeness. I
would say add usecases first, then the design should follow so that its a
good logical flow for the reader.

Few that i can think of:

1) Archival/Compliance usecase

2) Openstack cinder usecase - GlusterFS can act as a backup target for
Cinder where we can have the bitrot functionality enabled, can help act as
a differentiator and attraction for using glusterfs as a backup target

3) Gluster health usecase - BitRot can potentially act as *one* of the
indicators for the health of gluster volume, which can pave way for
'gluster health status' kind of a new command. See "BitRot Notes" thread
for more info on gluster health cmd i proposed

-----------------

    It would also be good to add high level steps a storage admin has to
take to enable BitRot, what he/she should do when an error gets reported by
BitRot, how to check for errors etc. Visualising this would help the
interface/CLI effort and also gives a better picture for mgmt applns (eg:
openstack) on what it needs to do (since it would try to
automate/orchestrate what otherwise admin would have done)

Also, could you provide some high level view of how the CLIs for BitRot
would look like ? That would help me map to the cinder usecase ( see (2)
above )

thanx,
deepak