[Gluster-devel] glfsheal test failures

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Fri Dec 12 16:16:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 08:53:14AM -0500, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> So you're using "DSO" to mean not just something that's a dynamic
> shared object but specifically something that's built to work with
> dlopen?  Seems like bad terminology to me, and possibly bad
> engineering, but when libtool is involved that's not a surprise.

Well, libtool tries to cope with the existing diversity. Life
would be even more complicated without it.

As for bad engineering, I do not know the constraints that may
exist on others systems. MacOS X uses the Mach-O executable
format, not ELF. The pro is that it supports fat binaries, but
I do not know what con you have to endure for that.

> Back to the point, it seems like we should use "ld -l" for some
> things (e.g. libglusterfs) and dlopen for others (e.x. xlators),
> but never "cross the streams" or just add a .so to the list of
> objects.  Does that sound right?

You should use libtool link everywhere, and with -module when it
should be dlopen'able.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org