[Gluster-devel] BitRot notes

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 09:12:20 UTC 2014

I wanted to put this idea for the larger community to discuss/debate

How about an on-demand scrubbing feature where I can provide a list of
files or dir and BitRot can scan/scrub it for corruption.
Again, this will be implemented just as another policy, which can be
set/unset by the user/admin

I see some usecases for this:

1) In openstack when using GlusterFS backend for Cinder, i know that my
cinder volumes are un-used when not attached to VMs, in which case I can
request for on-demand scan/scrub for my volume disks (which are files in
Gluster), the result of which can be used to warn user if some corruption
is present and/or can be used as an indicator to decide whether or not to
pick the volume for attaching next time.

2) GlusterFS as a backup target for Cinder -  I can schedule an
on-demand/immediate scan/scrub for the cinder volumes that i just backed up
to ensure that the backup indeed went good (all the way to the disk level)
and accordingly return the status of backup operation back to openstack
services.

Thoughts ?

thanx,
deepak