[Gluster-devel] how does meta xlator work?

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Thu Aug 14 03:55:32 UTC 2014

Anand Avati <avati at gluster.org> wrote:

> That may / may not work well in practice depending on the number of
> concurrent apps working on a file.

I am not sure what could make a FS decide that for the same file, one
file descriptor should use direct I/O and another should not.

Keeping the flag at file descriptor level would require VFS modification
in the kernel: the filesystem knows nothing about file descriptors, it
just know vnodes. It could be done, but I expect to meet resistance :-)

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz
manu at netbsd.org