[Gluster-devel] Weird tag name of 3.5.0qa2 from git

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Wed Apr 23 23:00:50 UTC 2014

Hi Kaleb,

Noticed this in the log of today's IRC meeting:

  15:58:30 <kkeithley> I built the $HEAD of master and noticed that the dist tarball hasd 3.5.0qa2 in the name.

This may be related to weird behaviour I saw a while ago
when tracing through the rpm.t build process.  git is
weirdly picking an old tag instead of a recent one when
"git describe --tags" is being used.

  $ git describe --tags
  v3.5qa2-365-g00e247e

Anyway, for the non rpm.t case, the weird package version
is may be coming from build-aux/pkg-version in our git repo.

It's first part is this:

  PKG_VERSION=`cat VERSION 2> /dev/null || git describe --tags --match "v[0-9]*"`

Which will pick up that v3.5qa2-365-g00e247e (then strip the
-365-g00e247e off later).

Not sure if that helps... ;)

+ Justin

--