[Gluster-devel] regarding gluster msg ids

Shyamsundar Ranganathan sam.somari at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 01:10:26 UTC 2014

Updating the thread with some more context from discussions offline
between Pranith, Krutika and myself.

The issue(s) that led to moving from a numeric ID to a string notation
of the #define was due to
   - fragmentation of the message range once allocated segments were full
   - Ability to define more developer friendly #define names, making
code better understandable
   - Based on the #define adding better meaning to the message itself

Based on this it was discussed and concluded that we will standardize
on numbers as an externally visible entity rather than have developer
defined strings as the ID,
   - so that it looks and feels consistent across components
   - as we do not need to add more meaning to the message ID but
rather to the message when required and,
   - also we need to leverage the ID as potential candidate for
journald/systemd subsystem when moving to that (potentially) in the
future.

Developers still have the flexibility to use any define names for
messages in their component, so that code reading is better.

Message range fragmentation would continue, but that is a smaller
problem which can be avoided taking larger/more segments as the
component may need/choose.

A compile time step would be added to prevent multiple definitions of
message defines (as suggested by Jeff) by adding a precompile script
to each message file to generate a conversion from #define to const
char * variants of the message.Then do a compile of this generated
header, which would fail in case there are duplicate const char *
defines. (rereading this line does seem like a lot of information in a
single line, so will follow this with a code submission to elaborate
the concept better :) ).

Shyam